Monday, July 11, 2011

Ayore Girls Camp 2011

On July 1st a team composed of North Americans, Ayore women, and Bolivians gathered together and prayed that God would open doors to allow the Ayore teen girls to come to camp. God answered our prayers and sent double (almost 60) the number of girls we had even hoped for in our wildest dreams!



10 Ayore Ladies came to participate
We had a great week at camp. It was so much fun to watch the girl’s get excited about learning stories from God’s Word and then presenting them in drama form to each other. My small group was made of 12 girls from Porvenir and Suegay, Ayore communities about 40 mins from my house. I had the youngest girls overall- ranging from 9yrs old to 14 years old. We had great fun telling stories and helping them understand God’s plan for them. I also had an amazing, solid in her faith, Ayore woman, Deisy (Daisy), helping me. Because my girls were so small most of them did not understand Spanish very well so Deisy worked very hard at putting the stories into Ayore and helping to translate their answers to my questions into Spanish so I could understand them. It definitely helped!

My Small Group- Porvenir and Suegay
Deisy (24 yrs old) standing to the left of me

My group presenting our team's banner- Mas Que Vencedoras
(More than Conquerors!)

Story time!
Overall, I think the girls had a lot of fun doing games and crafts, much like most other camps I’ve been to. But on the other hand there was definitely time and a focus on helping the girls understand who God made them to be and how that should reflect in their lives- specifically in what they should (or should not) be doing with their bodies. We targeted girls who have not been heavily involved in prostitution or drugs yet in the hopes of reaching them before those activities become a major part of their lives.

Playing games together 
Each person made a butterfly t-shirt with phrases like "God transforms us" in Ayore 
Each morning and night we had praise and worship time
Monica (Right- 9yrs old) was in my group and the daughter (left) of a leader from Barrio Bolivar whose name I forget, she is about 7 years old
The plan is to continue doing this camp for the Ayore girls every year.

No comments: